Skip to main content

Wanting

There is a young man I know who wanted to get better at basketball. Because he was not a very good player, he was rejected from every school and little league team available to him. But he wanted to get better. So in the evenings after school, he would hurriedly finish his homework and walk about a mile to the community park and practice the shooting and rebounding, dribbling and passing.

Soon he found that he was getting better...but still he wanted to be even better. He eventually began to wake up very early in the morning, sneak out of his house and go to the community park and practice for an hour and return him before his parents arose to find him missing.

All of his practice paid off...but that is not the point of this story.

The point is: his desire.

I often hear Christians (including myself) say, I want to study the Word more or I want to be closer to God. But those same Christians (including myself) make no attempt to study the Word more or to be closer to God. It occurred to me that in saying, "I want to spend more time in the Word" what we are really saying is "I see the value of spending more time in the Word" or "It would be beneficial for me to spend more time in the Word."

Why do I say that? For one simple reason. The things we want to do, we do. Oh, trust me, I know that there are family, work and even church obligations that take up our time and energy, but just like the little boy that I referenced in the beginning, when we truly want something, we will go out of our way to get it.

The Gospels are full of instances in which Christ would remove Himself from His disciples and go into the wilderness, often in the early morning, to pray. Why? Because not only did He see the need for it, but He wanted to do it....even though many times it was inconvenient for Him.

Excuses for not doing what we say we want to do are unacceptable. Especially, in this day and age when just about everything we need in order to study the Scriptures is at our fingertips. Many of us walk around with all 66 books of the Bible in several translations, safely stored on our mobile phones, yet we would sooner send a text or play a game than take a few moments to read a passage.

When we truly want to do something, we will do it....even if it means inconveniencing ourselves in order to get it done.  Ultimately, the things we say we want to do as Christians, we ought to be doing. And if we are not, we should be taking the time to figure out why. Could it be that we really don't want the things we say we do?

More about Jesus; in His Word,
Holding communion with my Lord;
Hearing His voice in every line,
Making each faithful saying mine.



Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t