Skip to main content

Was That Supposed To Be For Me?

An organisation to which I belong used to do a gift exchange for Christmas. Each member would have a few weeks to purchase something for the person whose name was randomly selected from a hat (or bag, whichever was closest). If I am not mistaken, we did this gift exchange for about four years before abandoning the idea. Not one year went by without there being some fuss because inevitably at least one person would get a gift that in no way compared to the one s/he purchased. The leader of my organisation went as far as to impose a monetary maximum AND minimum on the value of the gift, all in an effort to avoid the hurt feelings at the time of the exchange. 

Not even that worked. The night always ended with some bickering and complaining. "Look at this cheap thing that I got!" or "Do you know how much time I spent looking for the perfect gift for my person and this is all I get?!" or "Was this supposed to be for me?"

People's feelings were hurt and in most instances, rightfully so. It is unfair for some to put forth an effort while others choose the path of convenience by offering any old thing in haste or as an afterthought.

By now, you probably have an idea where I am going with this. If not, take a look at Malachi 1. The Lord of Heaven was grieved by the children of Israel. He poured His love out for them, time after time and how did they respond? By offering polluted bread and blind sacrifices (vv. 7-8). The Lord called them to the carpet about it and asked them if their governor would be pleased with the offering (v. 8). It was a rhetorical question that has but one answer: NO!

From the very beginning of time, even before the Levitical law was given, God required a pure sacrifice. Not something given as an afterthought, but a well thought out offering that is the best that we can give (see the story of Cain and Abel in Gen. 4:3-7). The best is what He requires because the best is what He has given us. Jesus is the best sacrifice, the spotless Lamb (see 1 Pet. 1:18-19). And God so loved us, that He sent His only begotten Son to die for and redeem us (see John 3:16).

That was an inconvenient thing to do. So in fairness, how can we do less? No, there is nothing that we can offer to God that can in any way compare to the offering He made for us. But does that mean we ought not try? Do we then have license to give God any old praise or to live our lives in any kind of way, simply because there is no way we can match His gift? 

God forbid. In everything, in every way, we ought to offer to God our best. That is what He deserves. It may not always be convenient to do so, indeed it may most often be the inconvenient thing to do, but in light of all He has done for us, how can we do less?

After we have made an end of offering our sacrifice to God (be it time, money, talent or praise), may it never be that His response is "Was that supposed to be for Me?"

O let my life be given
My years for Thee be spent
World fetters all be riven
And joy with suff'ring blent
Yea all, yea all was given for me
Now I give all to Thee.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t