Skip to main content

Little Earthquakes

I first heard a song called Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos as a freshman in college. The chorus was haunting and stuck with me. Even now, almost 17 years later, without actually playing the song, I can still hear Tori's voice singing: "These little earthquakes/Doesn't take much to rip us into pieces."

It still makes me think, just as it did the first time I heard it. "Doesn't take much to rip us into pieces." I feel like that sometimes. Oddly enough, I find that I'm not afraid of the full frontal attack of the enemy. There are certain areas in which I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Satan cannot get me to stumble wittingly no matter what He may try.  Those "major" sins are no match for a SuperChristian like me. I stand on the Word and I know in whom I have believed and I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day (see 1 Tim 1:12).

Ah, but those little earthquakes... If you're like me, you tend not to be as vigilant over the little sins as you would be over the big ones. You most certainly would NEVER tell a bold-faced lie, but a little half-truth in order to avoid an unpleasant or awkward situation is no big deal.  Steal someone's money? Never! But fudge a little on your income taxes? Come on....doesn't everyone? And we would never allow ourselves to hate anyone. God forbid! But...if we never have to interact with or speak to __________ (fill in the blank), that would be just fine.

There are literally thousands more examples.

These are the little earthquakes. Or better said, little areas of compromise. They slowly erode and eat away at the foundation of faith and holiness upon which each Christian stands. Little earthquakes in the life of a Christian are like tiny cracks in a pane of glass.  One crack may not have any effect. But as more are added, the strength of the glass is compromised until the slightest pressure causes it to shatter into tiny pieces. That's when we wonder, how did we get here?

The simple answer is that we chose the path of least resistance. The convenient path. And we fooled ourselves into believing that the holy and righteous God we serve does not concern Himself with the little things. God understands, we tell ourselves in justification. But does He? His standard is holiness and that is unwavering, whether we are faced with the temptation to commit the "major" sins or just the human reflex to succumb to the "little earthquakes."

Sadly, many of us live our Christian lives thinking we are fine because we have abstained from the big sins and our pane of glass is intact. But if we were to take the time to examine it, we would see thousands of tiny cracks caused by the little earthquakes that we live with every day and to which we pay little or no attention. But we need to pay attention. As Paul warns in 1 Cor. 10:12 (KJV), "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." In other words, let us take care to guard against the damage caused by little earthquakes.

Father, for too long we have been concerned about the bigger things and left the smaller things unchecked, failing to realise that You require us to present ALL of ourselves as a living sacrifice. Forgive us for ignoring the little earthquakes in our lives that serve only to drive us farther away from You. Give us a heart like Yours so that we may please You in all that we do. We ask this in the name of Your Son. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t