Skip to main content

Hidden

We live in an age where technology is the order of the day. Anything you want, you can get at the drop of a hat. You almost don't need to retain information in your brain because there is some device, gadget or app that will retain it for you. For example, my parents have a new residential phone number. I have no clue what it is. It's stored in my mobile phone if I need to dial them, but without my phone I would be unable to reach them. Sadly, if my head was on the chopping block and I had to recite my parents' home phone number or else, I would end up shorter by a head.

This made me realize that sometimes we do that with the Word of God. YouVersion has a great Bible app that is searchable, provides study tools and it even reads to you. There are a million and one (only a slight exaggeration) online sites that will allow you to find a verse with a few keystrokes. You can even google a phrase from a scripture and find out the passage reference in less than the time it would take to locate a physical Bible.

All of this is wonderful...but it makes me sad. We're not hiding the word in our hearts anymore. Just like phone numbers, we feel like we don't have to memorize scripture anymore because we can always find what we need in a flash. But the writer of Psalm 119 reminds us in verse 11 that hiding God's word in our hearts will keep us from sinning against God. In that moment when we are tempted, the Spirit of God will call back the Word to remembrance. Imagine if you had to find your app first...

It might be inconvenient, but hiding the Word in our hearts through scripture memorization will strengthen our walk. Let's endeavour to keep God's word hidden.

p.s. Nancy Leigh DeMoss has a 2012 challenge: memorize ALL of Psalm 119 by the end of the year. I'm trying it...will you?

Comments

  1. Not hiding the word of God in our hearts by memorizing would be terrible if we didn't know that the plan is to write the word in hearts of flesh by the Spirit. That's how we know that He's writing the same word in different hearts, even though the owners of those hearts memorize scriptures in Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, and every other language too. Fear not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Anderson. Good point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t