Skip to main content

Walk Away

Hello out there! I've been a bit on the silent side for the past few weeks...the truth is, I was having a little trouble hearing from the Lord. It's amazing how clearly you can hear Him once you take a moment to really listen. Now....on to the blog.

The title of this blog comes from one of my FAVORITE songs by one of my FAVORITE groups called the Indigo Girls. I don't agree with a lot of their beliefs, but I find it interesting how I can find spiritual truths in their lyrics (and to their credit, they do make a surprising number of Biblical allusions). Anyway, back to my point. "Walk Away" is a song from the POV of a person who is leaving a relationship a bit reluctantly.

The first lines of the song are "We used to walk in each other's arms, we were one-on-one, that's what you said." The song goes on without a refrain/chorus, just a repeated line: "Walk away." For me the climax of the song is when the singer declares that she is a pillar of salt, but she wants her ex to understand that this is the last time she'll ever look behind.

For the past couple of days, that song has been in my head and in repeat on my iTunes player. "This is the last time I'll ever look behind." That is a powerful statement. Even more powerful is the singer's acknowledgement that she has already become a pillar of salt.



In case you are not aware, the "pillar of salt" is a Biblical allusion to Lot's wife in Gen 19:15-26. At that time, Lot and his family were fleeing the evil twin cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because the fire of the Lord was about to fall from Heaven to consume them because of their wickedness. Angels warned the family to flee the cities and not to look behind them. But Lot's wife did not heed the warning and became a pillar of salt.

And now here I am thousands of years later, being convicted by a secular song for exactly the same thing. As Christians, we are brand new creatures (see 2 Cor. 5:17). Old things have passed away and all things are brand new....but as humans, there is a part of us that tends to want to look back at what we left behind. Not with a heart of gratitude to God for what He's done, but with a sense of longing, wondering what could have been. In that moment, spiritually we turn into a pillar of salt.

And it can happen over and over again until one day we decide once and for all that enough is enough and we'll never look behind again. Making that choice is not easy. I happen to look behind more often than I care to share, but how will we ever make progress if we keep looking behind?

What is it in your life that you have to walk away from in order to draw closer to God? Have you identified it? Now ask yourself, is that person, thing or habit more important to you than your relationship with God?

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S. Lewis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t