Skip to main content

Accepting The "No"

When I was young(er), I used to beg, literally beg, my mother for this thing or that.  Sometimes she would say yes, but other times (more often than not) she would say no. Usually, one "no" was enough. But every once in a while, I would feel like her negative response was unjust. And then the begging would begin. Usually, her answer would remain the same. But every once in a while, she would acquiesce, saying "Whatever you want to do, Josie" and give me what I wanted...

Invariably, I would end up regretting it. I would be left with the overwhelming sense that if I had just listened to her in the first place, the heartache or pain that I experienced would have been avoided. In reality, if I'm honest about it, in the moments when I was begging my mother to change her mind, I was thinking that I knew more than she did. How presumptuous of my younger self! How could I possibly have thought that in my limited years I knew more than the woman who brought me into this world?

(By now you should know where I'm going with this...)

There are those times when we respond to God's denial of a request like my younger self responded to my mother time and again. We continue to beg God for something that is not in His will. And every once in a while, like my mother, God will say, "Whatever you want to do, (your name here)."

And invariably we end up regretting it. I've had many a friend enter into a horrible marriage because they couldn't accept God's "no." I've seen people lose thousands of dollars on failed business ventures because they just couldn't accept the "no." Balaam nearly lost his life (see Num. 22:1-38). And the list could go on.

If we're honest with ourselves, we will see our refusal to accept the "no" for what it is: a presumptuous belief that we know more than God. Oh sure, we would never say it like that, but that is exactly what it is. And Paul warns us about that in Romans 9:20-21:

Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

Shall we say to the Almighty that He is wrong for denying a request? Shall we correct the One who needs no counsel? Shall we challenge the very sovereignty of the Uncaused God?

Of course, we answer those questions in the negative, yet our actions indicate otherwise. Let us be mindful that He is the Potter and we are merely the clay. He shapes us and molds us into what He wants us to be and we cannot and indeed must not try to tell Him what we ought to be.

Yes, it is inconvenient for us to truly surrender to someone or something outside of ourselves.  We like to feel like we are the captains of our own souls. But we are not. We, as Christians, belong to God. He knows what is best for us. He's promised that His plans for us are to give us hope and a future (see Jer. 29:11). So when He says "no," let us accept it, lest we find ourselves wishing we had.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t