Skip to main content

Disobedience

Hello out there! I've been silent for an extended period of time and for that I apologize. There is no excuse, so I will not offer one....

This Christian life is hard folks....and terribly inconvenient. In the recent past (yes, in the period of silence), I have been faced with some difficult decisions. To my shame and dismay, I didn't always make the right ones. Actually, more often than not, I made the wrong decisions. And I have been struggling to figure out why I chose the wrong path time and again.

One word: disobedience.

It is the first sin of mankind and has been plaguing us ever since the Garden of Eden. It is the root of every sin that we can commit within or without the body. And it is terribly difficult to excise.

Disobedience rears its ugly head when we start to think of our own selfish, self-serving, evil will above God's pure, perfect, holy one. And is over-simplified as this may seem, all God wants us to do is obey Him.

But disobedience is so pervasive. And it occurs in the lives of even the most well-grounded Christians. It comes with consequences, though. The Old Testament is full of commands and warnings that boil down to: "Obey Me and live."

The story of Adam and Eve in the Garden is the purest example of that. God tells Adam that the day that he eats of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, he would surely die (Gen. 2:17). That command was not specific to the tree itself. It is not as though the tree contained poisonous fruit. The command had a far more spiritual connotation. Obedience = life. Disobedience = death.

Further reading in the book of Genesis tells us that Eve took the fruit of that tree and ate of it at the prompting of the serpent and then gave some to Adam. But they did not immediately drop dead. In fact, Adam and Eve had children after this event. And the children grew up. Adam himself lived to be 930 years old (Gen. 5:5).

These details are factual, yes....but again, they have a more far-reaching spiritual connotation. The ultimate effect of Adam's disobedience was not immediately meted out. It took years and years for death to come. But it did. Likewise, the ultimate effect of our disobedience may not be immediately felt, but they are certain. However, since the judgment of God seems to delay, we get lulled into a false sense of security and feel as though there are no consequences for our disobedience (See Rom. 2:3-4).

Make no mistake, I am talking to myself here as much as anyone who might be reading this. It is time to uproot disobedience from our lives. In EVERY aspect of our lives....even the most inconvenient ones.

Comments

  1. Even though this was posted a few months ago, this was timely for me to read. I can truly relate to this as if you knew my issue. I realize recently how selfishly I was in making a decision.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t