Skip to main content

A Wedding Story

First of all, let me say greetings to all of you out there. I have been MIA for an unreasonably long time. No excuses. My apologies. Enough of that. I have something to say...

There is a program on TLC called A Wedding Story. It follows couples as they get ready for their much-anticipated wedding. You get the individual backgrounds on the bride and groom. They tell you how they met and how the proposal happened. And we, the viewing audience of insatiable voyeurs, watch as they prepare to saw their vows.

What I find interesting is the difference between how the brides prepare themselves and how the grooms prepare. Months before the wedding, the brides hire personal trainers and go on strict diets. They have appointments for dress fittings and cake tastings, etc. On the day of the wedding, there is a series of beauty treatments including, hair styling, mani/pedis, waxing, eyebrow arching makeup applications and on and on and on and on. Interspersed through the scenes of the bride's flurry of activity, we usually see shots of the groom playing golf with his friends and having a good time right up until it's time for him to put on his rented tuxedo and walk down the aisle.

I think it is hilarious how much more time and work and planning goes into the bride's preparation versus the groom's.

Then it hit me. Isn't the Church the Bride of Christ?

YES. (See Revelations 19:7-9)

So then, if we are the Bride of the ultimate Bridegroom, what are we doing to get ourselves ready for our "Wedding Day"? What is our wedding story?

In truth, we met our Bridegroom on the day that we were born. We've known Him our entire lives. Or at least He's known us. And He loved us so fiercely that when He proposed, He actually shed His blood as a sign of His willingness to sacrifice Himself for us. And as Christians, we said yes. We accepted His offer.

Therefore, we ought to be in wedding day preparation mode. Everything we do should be purposely designed to be ready for that day when we are presented by our Father to our Bridegroom. We ought to be preparing by getting to know our Bridegroom through spending time with Him and learning about Him through His word. And we ought to be getting ourselves ready by making sure our garment is spotless and free from even the tiniest spot or wrinkle of sin.

Therein lies the inconvenience of it all. The continual preparation. It is tedious at times. And terribly inconvenient. The truth is many of us (myself included) forget about our wedding day because we don't have a set date. It seems intangible; so we think we have time. But time is running out.

Our wedding day is closer than we may want to believe. May none of us be caught unawares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t