Skip to main content

Nothing? Nothing.

Hello everyone!

This is another deeply personal blog, but I think writing about my issues will lead to victory over them (can the church say amen?) So here goes...

I have a little confession to make. I STRUGGLE with anxiety. It can be debilitating. If there is anyone that can make a mountain out of a mole hill, that person is me. This is a battle I have been fighting (and, unfortunately, losing) for a long time. At its worst, I have been unable to function normally. During one particularly horrible bout of anxiety about 10 years ago, I was standing outside of the courtroom, crying and unable to enter because I was so overcome by anxiety about a case I had. Almost every major setback in my life can be traced back to my inability to act because of my anxiety.

Thanks be to God, I do not suffer from debilitating anxiety most days. Most days, I can overcome the little stressers and distressers in my life. That's how I have been functioning, until recently.

Recently, I have been battling another anxiety tidal wave. It causes my chest to tighten and my hair to fall out. It interrupts my sleep pattern. It makes me stress eat. And it gives me suicidal ideations. Like, you know, my problems would go away if I simply cease to exist in this life.

No one knows how loud the noise in my head gets. No one knows the tears that I cry. No one knows how hard it is to get out of bed in the mornings. No one knows that I can hardly pray sometimes. No one knows...but God.

Last night, I had a meeting at church that went much longer than I expected. Secretly, I was a little annoyed that it took so long to iron out the plans for an upcoming event, but I was thankful for the distraction from my anxiety-inducing problems. As I drove home, the anxiety began to creep back in. Less than 5 minutes into my 20-minute drive home, I was near full-blown panic attack. The noise in my head reaching a fevered pitch, the tightening in my chest almost unbearable. In that moment, I reached over and turned on the radio just in time to hear Pastor Chip Ingram of Living on the Edge describing the physiological effects of anxiety. Tears began to sting my eyes. The accuracy of his word picture in my own life made me wonder if I was being watched somehow. He had me pegged. Everything he described was what I was feeling and how I had been living.

And then he turned to the word. Phil. 4:6-7 (NKJV) tells gives us a negative command. "Be anxious for nothing." I knew the scripture. I have quoted it to myself so many times. But as Apostles David and April Bynes of Destiny Speaks like to say, it is ineffective to quote scripture that you do not believe. Listening to Pastor Chip last night, I was confronted with the depth of my unbelief. By allowing anxiety to bring me to the point of debilitation, I was showing my unbelief in the word of God. And my disobedience.

So I began to meditate on that command. Be anxious for nothing. Nothing? Nothing?! What about when there are more bills than money and no (legal) way to get more. What about when the doctor gives a diagnosis that is serious or terminal? What about when everything around you seems like it is falling apart and the walls are closing in on you? I'm not even to be anxious then??

But the verses go on to say that in everything, by prayer and supplication, WITH thanksgiving we should make our requests known to God. After this we will receive peace. That seems so simple it is almost laughable. My nature is to run out and find a solution. My nature is to try to control the situation and force a favorable outcome. And if I can't force a favorable outcome, my nature is to shut down and ignore the problem until the small, easily extinguishable spark becomes a roaring forest fire. Praying and giving the situation to God is not my nature. It is far too simple.

And the simplicity of it caused me to chide myself. I was not praying nearly as much as I should have been. Or being as thankful, either. So I started my day today with prayer, like I normally do, but this time I was more intentional about it. I serve a great big God. He is bigger than my anxiety and definitely bigger than my problems. And if I truly believe that, then I will indeed, be anxious for nothing.

I hope I am encouraging someone out there.

Comments

  1. 🎶You are not alone🎶 ((Michael Jackson voice)) This was definitely an encouraging post. Thank you!! I heard a word tonight at a women's conference that I think you may find empowering. A person that lives in the darkness doesn't realize the light isn't on. We become so used to our cycles and doing things on auto pilot that even when we intend to change, we end up following our same patterns and getting the same results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And that is why I am endeavouring to be intentional about this. If I don't, I let the enemy creep in and he will NOT win!

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Simple Mathematics

If you're like me, you're probably thinking there is no such thing as "simple" mathematics... and the picture above does not help! For some of us, even the simplest calculations require technological assistance. But don't lose heart, loved one! The equation I am about to give you is so simple even a pre-school student can understand it (I think!). So here it is, in the form of an "if/then" statement: If a=b, then b=a Simple, right? Of course it is because it is logical. The equal sign ("=") means that whatever is on either side of that sign is the same. So even if you reverse the order in which you list the items on either side of that equal sign, they are still equal. So then, how does this simple premise, simple equation apply to this inconvenient Christian journey. Here it is: Christian = Christ follower, Christ follower = Christian.  Again, simple, no? Or is it? It seems to me that we as Christians do not always act like Christ

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t