Skip to main content

Abba Father

Yesterday, I watched CNN with tear-filled eyes as they displayed poorly shot video of a homeless, mentally disturbed young man being brutally beaten by Fullerton Police Officers. If you have the stomach for it, you can see for yourself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVR4wTPsHYk). Again, I warn you that it is NOT for the faint of heart.

Apparently, the incident happened some time ago. The young man was initially hospitalized, but died 5 days later from asphyxiation caused by his extensive injuries. The young man apologized several times for whatever perceived wrongdoing. Finally, in desperation he yells out, "They're trying to kill me, Dad! Help!" His father was not present at the scene. It was simply the desperate cry of a helpless man who didn't know what else to do.

I bring this to your attention not to shock you, nor to stir up negative feelings towards the police. I bring this to your attention because as I watched the video, I couldn't help but think that the victim of the beating is us. We are constantly bombarded by the cares and pressures of this life. And we make feeble attempts to fend off the attack. And only in desperation, when we have no where else to turn and nothing else do, do we cry out to our Father...

Imagine the father of that young man and how he felt as he watched the video. Even if he were present at the scene of the beating and willing to help, with that many officers what could he have done?

Thank God He is not like human beings. Our Father, Abba, is ever-present and all-powerful. He is always there and not just willing, but able to help us no matter how dire the situation. All we need to do is call.

This post is not about inconvenience. It's just a simple reminder that as Christians, we have hope. We can trust in our Abba Father!

Now, that ought to make you want to shout....HALLELUJAH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t