Skip to main content

Choosing to Forgive



For years, I thought it was my fault. That I did something wrong. That somehow I had invited his adult lips to touch mine. Or that I had unwittingly enticed his grown man’s hands to explore my no-no place. I was only 10 years of age after all. What did I know of the art of seduction? Clearly, I had stumbled across some universal signal to adult men that sexual touching was welcome.

Or that’s what I thought afterwards…when it was all over and I was left to contemplate the violation that had occurred. And his warning to keep silent about it. He didn’t have to warn me though. I didn’t want to talk about it. What would I have said? How could I have described what happened? And my role in it? So I just sat wondering how I got there.

Unlike so many others with similar experiences, mine only occurred the one time. There was no repeat. Thank God. But the truth is, there did not need to be a repeat occurrence for me to feel like a prisoner in my own home…for me to feel like it would happen again…for me to wonder if I was inadvertently giving off the wrong signals to other adult males.

I felt unsafe. Unprotected. I felt wrong.

Years later, I found myself in the position of having to advocate for my offender and violator in a court of law. Again, I wondered how I ended up in that position. But I did know. He was family. A close relative. And in that moment, my family obligation trumped my childhood trauma. Besides, the other members of the family didn’t know of his violation. They only knew of his legal troubles and that I was a licensed attorney who could help.

So I did. With too wet eyes, I spoke glowingly of the man who had taken my innocence. I begged for his release from jail. I told the Court that he was a good person and deserved a second chance. All the while biting the inside of my lip to keep the tears from spilling down my cheeks.

It worked. And my violator tried to thank me, but when I looked him in the face for the first time in over 25 years, he saw my eyes and knew he should keep silent.  I walked out of that courtroom and cried.

So yeah, I didn’t watch the R. Kelly documentary on Lifetime. I couldn’t. The subject matter was a little too familiar. And I am working on the inconvenience of forgiveness in this season of my life.

Forgiveness is not something my violator has ever sought. I’m not sure I care. I am choosing to forgive because the 10-year-old version of me deserves better. She deserves to have grown into a strong woman, who can lift her head and handle her business. Most days that is who I am…but every once in a while, I remember my 10-year-old self and I weep for her.

Comments

  1. You are stronger than you know and in many ways greater!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Sorry I am just seeing this comment, but I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

The Worshiper In Me

This post is going up much earlier than normal. I'm up early because I'm doing a favor for a friend. As good as that is, I wish I was up this early for a more spiritual reason. Had I not made my commitment to do this favor, I would still be in bed, thinking about getting up between dozes. What is it about a commitment to man(kind) that causes us to be more apt to keeping it, when we so easily shirk our commitments to God? I cannot place an exact number on the amount of times I have felt convicted about needing to wake up earlier and spend more time in the Word and in prayer. I'm actually glad I cannot because I'm sure the number would bring me a great deal of embarrassment. There is a worshiper in me that wants to be free. She wants to praise God beyond what my mortal body is capable of. And she's downright tired of being caged in this failing house of flesh. She wants to give God more. But she's in a war with her earthly vessel. The words of Galatians 5:1