Skip to main content

Anniversary

*Sorry, didn't plan for this one to be so long! I need to turn my soapbox into kindling.

Today is my parents' 45th wedding anniversary. I would like to say they've enjoyed 45 years of wedded bliss, but that would make me a liar. Like every other couple, they had their ups and downs....but through it all, they stuck by each other. The sole reason for that is their undying commitment to God.



From as far back as I can remember, my parents have clung to the belief that marriage is honourable and divorce was not an option. Growing up, I always believed that too, but I also believed that my future marriage might end in divorce because of life's circumstances (whatever they might be).

It was not until I reached adulthood, that I gained the spiritual insight to see that my parents' dogged tenacity (is that redundant?) when it comes to their vows was more than a staunch refusal to walk out on the marriage. Their commitment to each other is a direct reflection of their commitment to Christ.

The Bible likens this Christian journey to (among other things) a marriage (see Eph. 5:25) and takes great pains to explain how husbands and wives ought to treat one another. Ultimately, it boils down to Christ being our example.  Christ Himself gave His life for us...even when we didn't know Him and wanted nothing to do with Him. Therefore, we ought to treat our marriage partners in the same manner.

If thought that was inconvenient, wait until you read this:

By logical extension, the way Christians operate in their marriages is the same way they operate in their Christianity. And the way Christians treat their spouses is the same way they treat Christ. So if a Christian believes there exists a set of circumstances in which they would break their marriage vows and walk away from their partner forever, then I posit to you that there exists a set of circumstances in which that same Christian would walk away from Christ.

Now you might be thinking that I have overly complicated the situation. What about those very real reasons for divorce? Surely, Christ would never be guilty of those so it's not exactly the same, is it? Let's see...

The top reasons for divorce are unfaithfulness, abuse, growing apart and abandonment:

  • Unfaithfulness - there is no dispute that Christ would never be unfaithful to us. But if we look beyond the physicality of unfaithfulness, we can better see where we might lay this charge at Christ's feet. The underlying factor is the betrayal of trust.
    • If we are depending on Christ to act in one way and He acts in another, our trust can be shaken. But we oftentimes impose our own standards on Christ and He seldom acts like we think He should. And we feel like we can't trust Him. So we leave.
  • Abuse - there is no dispute that Christ would never be abusive to us. But if we look beyond the surface, we can better see where we might lay this charge as Christ's feet.
    • If we acknowledge that He is in control, but it seems like we are beset on all sides by problem after problem, and trial after trial and disappointment after disappointment, Christ can seem to us like an abusive lover. So we leave.
  • Growing apart - this one is a little easier to see. People grow apart when they don't take time to get to really get to know one another and don't spend time together and don't pursue the same things. So if we aren't pursuing what Christ pursues, we grow apart. So we leave.
  • Abandonment - we know that He will never leave us or forsake us. But when we are going through those most difficult of times and we can't seem to feel Him near, we feel abandoned. So we leave.
Marriage is a serious thing, not to be taken lightly. I thank God that my parents lived out an inconvenient Christianity in front of my siblings and me. 

May we all show tenacious commitment to our marriage partners, current or future. And above all, may we all show tenacious commitment to Christ.

Comments

  1. So many couples marry for various reasons. Marriage today is not like it was in Grandma n Grandpa days and its very sad. The same energy that was used to join a couple together should be the same energy used to keep it together. but in todays society "walking out" is the new trend..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ride or Die

I love this phrase. There are quite a few subtle variations on the meaning, but it is an urban colloquialism that means loyalty, no matter what. I thank God that I have been blessed with a few people that have that kind of loyalty to me and I to them. It's a rich blessing that have true friends. They are with me and in my corner no matter what (or "regardless of what" as one of them would say). This week we had Vacation Bible School at my church and I was privileged to be a teacher. The first lesson was taken from Daniel chapter three. The very well known story of the three Hebrew boys: Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. It is a wonderful story of faith, but something jumped out at me so profoundly that it almost knocked me over. We always focus on the deliverance. But the Hebrew boys did not. Their focus was on God and Him alone. They were ride or die for the Lord. Literally. If you read the story, they never once pray for deliverance. They talk about God's a

Rocks, Gravel, Sand and Water

Let me first start by saying that I cannot take credit for the following example, as I did not originate it. In fact, I was listening to Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah and I was so touched by what he shared that I thought I would share it with all of you. Let's say I have a large, empty 5-gallon jar. If I place fist sized rocks into the jar until no more can fit, is it full? Before you answer, let me say that after I place the rocks in the jar, I pick up a bag of gravel and begin to pour that into the jar. Where does the gravel go? In between the spaces left by the rocks. After I fill the jar to the brim with gravel, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a bag of sand into the jar. Where does the sand go? Into the spaces left by the gravel, of course. After filling the jar to the brim with sand, is it full? Before you answer, consider this: I pour a pitcher of water into the same jar. Where does the water go? Into the spaces between the grains of sa

Missed Opportunities

*So....I'm going to be asking for a little audience participation on this one. Please, please oblige me (just this once...lol). Have you ever been in a situation with no clue of what to do? In the moment your mind is reeling and you're desperately trying to figure out how to act or what to say. Of course, later on when you're far removed from the stress of the situation, a million things pop into your head as to what you should have said or what you should have done?  Well, that happened to me yesterday, except I am still unclear as to what I should have said or done. I just kept thinking, " Come on, Josie! Think! What would Jesus do? " But to my chagrin, I came up woefully and hopelessly blank. Here's the scenario:  I am currently doing contract, project-driven work. It's not steady, but for the time being it is my Brook Cherith (see 1 Kings 17:2-6), so I'm not complaining (out loud). I started a new project last week and found out t